Re: ELPA policy

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:16:02 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden, Dmitry Gutov
>> <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:28:26 -0800
>>
>> Large packages like CEDET should move outside of Emacs.git and into Elpa.git.
>
> "Should" based on what? just the fact that it's large?  I think we
> should decide this stuff on a case by case basis.  For example:
>
>> If xref.el depends on CEDET, it would move to Elpa.git as well.
>
> IMO, the exact opposite: if there are core features that we want to be
> in Emacs no matter what, and those features depend on a package which
> could be a candidate to move to ELPA, that package should NOT move to
> ELPA.

In general, I agree.

However, there are two _independent_ aspects of "move to ELPA":

1) Move to ELPA git.

2) Be distributed by the ELPA package server.

If other core code depends on a package, it should not move to ELPA git
(unless the dependency is easily refactored, as in the CEDET/xgit case;
there will always be corner cases).

However, if there is a desire to do package releases between Emacs
releases, making the package available via the ELPA package server makes
sense.

I think this discussion is mainly focused on "move to ELPA git", but it
would help to be clear.

--
-- Stephe