Re: 4K Bugs

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: 4K Bugs
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 09:28:04 +0100

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> I'm very late to this discussion, but inspired by Lar's bug fix spree I
> decided to see if I could have a go myself. I found the process a little
> confusing. Here are some points:
>
>  - After installing debbugs, there is no obvious entry point. M-x
>    debugs-[tab] gives 30 different commands.

Yeah, the `M-x' interface for discovering commands in Emacs sucks.
We've discussed before adding mechanisms for leaving mode-specific
commands out, but I was apparently the only one enthusiastic about
it...

>  - The two shortest commands are debbugs-org and debbugs-gnu. The former
>    lists all the bugs for Org-Mode, and the latter Emacs. Why
>    debbugs-gnu and not debbugs-emacs? I don't know.

Good question.  debbugs-emacs would be a more logical name for the
command.

>  - debbugs-gnu list bugs from number 158 and upward; the entire first
>    500 is about emacs 23 pre-releases. If I want to get the latest bugs,
>    they are on page 5.

This has been fixed in the git version of debbugs.  It loads all the
bugs.

>  - Bugs marked as "done" and "unreproducible" are displayed by default.

Yeah, done bugs should probably be hidden by default.  I don't know
about unreproducible...

>  - On none of the debbugs pages are there any obvious menu items or
>    bug-related functionality.

I don't quite follow.  Debbugs pages?

>  - I found out about hitting "C" to send a control message. Configuring
>    this to "mail client" and up pops thunderbird, although I am a Gnus
>    user.

That sounds like a bug.  `C' just uses the normal Emacs method for
sending email.  Have you configured Emacs to use Thunderbird to send
emails?