Re: Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 01:55:47 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> We've discussed before adding mechanisms for leaving mode-specific commands
>>> out, but I was apparently the only one enthusiastic about it...
>
>> You sketched a possible implementation. If you are interested on completing
>> the part that requires a smart hacker, I'll do the part that requires a dumb
>> one :-)
>
> What is this feature suggestion again?

On the M-x prompt, the set of candidates is restricted to those that
make sense given the current context. Leaving out functions that are
specific to modes not enabled is a start. So if you are editing a C file
and press `M-x g' almost all gnus* functions shall not be considered as
candidates for completion.

This is important with advanced completion systems. An example: while
working on a org-mode file, if I wish to execute org-clock-report I can
use its binding: "C-c C-x C-r". With ido+flx, I can do "M-x ocr ENTER"
which, IMO, is superior on each and every aspect.

The M-x interface can be an improvement over both keybindings and the
menu on terms of usability, given the correct methods, but having
thousands of irrelevant candidates every time you invoke M-x is an
inconvenience for that goal, not to say plain dumb.