Re: Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 04:49:04 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> Maintaining all this information on an external resource is
>> unmanageable, it simply wont work.
>
> Why not?

Do I need to explain the difficulties of maintaining information about
the characteristics of a resource outside of where the resource is
defined?

[snip]

>> For reading the annotations (and, possibly, for performance reasons,
>> applying the filter) modifications are required on some Emacs
>> infrastructure.
>
> Why?  What's wrong with `(get SYMBOL 'applies-to-foo-mode)'?

The filtering, on its most simplified implementation, would gather the
commands which are declared to be related to any active (major|minor)
mode on the current buffer, plus the commands that are not related to
any mode. Without a perceptible delay by the user. As an Emacs session
can reach tens of thousands of available commands, my guess is that some
new infrastructure (possibly at the C level) is required.