Re: 4K Bugs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: 4K Bugs
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 13:21:20 +0000

>>  - The two shortest commands are debbugs-org and debbugs-gnu. The former
>>    lists all the bugs for Org-Mode, and the latter Emacs. Why
>>    debbugs-gnu and not debbugs-emacs? I don't know.
>
> `debbugs-gnu' is meant to access the bug tracker on http://debbugs.gnu.org.
> The underlying library debbugs.el is able to access also the Debian bug
> tracker on http://bugs.debian.org. Maybe there will be a
> `debbugs-debian' one day.
>
> `debbugs-emacs' would be misleading, because http://debbugs.gnu.org is
> also the bug tracker for other GNU projects.

Yeah. But if I type M-x debbugs-gnu, I just get emacs bugs right?

>>  - debbugs-gnu list bugs from number 158 and upward; the entire first
>>    500 is about emacs 23 pre-releases. If I want to get the latest bugs,
>>    they are on page 5.
>
> Yep, maybe it is better to sort by default latest first. As Lars said,
> in the next debbugs release 0.9 you will get all bugs on one page. You
> can sort as you like, pressing the title of a column with your mouse.

Indeed.

>>  - Bugs marked as "done" and "unreproducible" are displayed by default.
>
> "Done" bugs are displayed until they are archived (28 days after being
> marjed "done"). You can toggle this behaviour by typing "x". For
> "unreproducible" bugs nothing is available, maybe they shall be
> suppressed also by typing "x".

Ah, okay, it's not all "done" bugs. I was wondering why there were so
few. Again, I would toggle the default here. Power users will work it
out.

>>  - On none of the debbugs pages are there any obvious menu items or
>>    bug-related functionality.
>
> Good point. Will add this.
>
>>  - I found out about hitting "C" to send a control message. Configuring
>>    this to "mail client" and up pops thunderbird, although I am a Gnus
>>    user.
>
> As Lars said, this must be a bug. If you cannot fix it yourself (start
> with "emacs -Q"), write a bug report.
>
>>  - I found "bugtracker" in admin/notes late in the day. It doesn't
>>    mention the debbugs package AFAICT. It's full of information, but a
>>    lot of it is how to manage the bug tracker. I don't know if there is
>>    anything better on how-to-fix a bug. It also ends with a warning that
>>    the database takes "well over 1Gb of space" which makes it look
>>    rather old.
>
> Adding some words about the debbugs package into relevant files is on my todo.
>
>> So, I think that the process is rather harder than it needs to be.
>>
>> If anyone is willing to hold-my-hand, and take me through the process of
>> fixing a couple of bugs (not the actual bug-hunting, which I can do),
>> I'll write the process up as a short tutorial as I did with for
>> etc/DEBUG. This way I can use my ignorance to good purpose.
>
> Please start reading README and debbugs-ug.info. Ping me, if you find
> annoyances there. ASk also for new features :-)

Oh, I will!

One document which I think is missing is a "what all the tags" mean.

> Since I'm just changing several things in the debbugs package, it might
> be closer to the state-of-art if you use the version from git. If this
> is applicable to you.

No worries I can do that.

Phil