Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 04:00:24 +0300

On 01/26/2016 01:05 PM, martin rudalics wrote:

Back to where we were: ‘pop-to-buffer’ is based on the <= 2 windows per
frame paradigm.

Why <= 2? Are you saying I should use some different function, after applying the dedicated status and switch to the window O?

I thought pop-to-buffer is basically the default choice for displaying a buffer when you're not sure which window to use.

 > Let's say that the lines in X are about half of the frame's width. At
 > least, that's my usual experience.

The default frame's width?

Of a maximized frame's width. Which is 229 here.

 >> Then we're back at the initial problem that by default Emacs never
shows
 >> more than two windows on a frame :-(
 >
 > I suppose so. But its resolution should be orthogonal to what I do.

Sometimes you want the cake and eat it.

Everybody does.

Ahh, funny.  I never switch back to *Compilation* manually.  I always
keep it open until I have resolved all issues.  And my grep sidebars
hardly occupy any space.  I often show two or more greps or searches
simultaneously.  And whenever I remove a grep sidebar from the frame,
its buffer gets killed automatically.  I wouldn't remember anyway what I
needed it for.

I do, sometimes. And maybe the user has their own special subroutine which knows which buffer to show and why.