Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:46:00 +0200

> From: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:53:27 -0500
>
> I didn't know what character folding was before this was implemented in
> Emacs, and AFAICT the only other thing I happen to have installed that
> does this is Chromium.

We don't have to always be the Nth application on the block to
implement something useful.  When Emacs was first introduced, it
pioneered many features that nowadays are taken for granted.  There's
no reason why this trend should stop, IMO.

> While it's a neat feature, it should default to off.

Thanks for providing feedback.

> It appears that char-folding's dependence on elisp regex is a
> crutch.

You (or anyone else) are welcome to work on re-implementing this in
search.c similarly to case-folding we already have there.  The current
implementation was accepted because the feature was deemed important,
and no one stepped forward to do it in C.

> Long PS: I think the news items in "** Search and Replace" need to be
> clearer. In particular:
>
> - *** New user option ... should perhaps mention character-fold-to-regexp if
>   that ends up being the default

Done.

> - *** `isearch' and ... should mention how to disable/enable character
>   folding for isearch, whatever the default ends up being

I added that.

> - *** New function ... should mention that it is to be added to
>   `search-default-regexp-mode'

The first item above already does (after the changes you proposed
above), so this sounds redundant.

> To me, these appear to be completely disjoint despite having everything
> to do with char-folding.  I think one would have to know how isearch
> actually works in order to put it together from reading the NEWS as it
> is currently.

The grouping in NEWS is not meant to facilitate putting it all
together, in the sense of creating some overall picture of the
underlying implementation.  The grouping is there to make it easier to
grasp changes related to the same feature or group of features, that's
all.

Thanks.