Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:40:06 +0800

On 19 February 2016 at 01:21, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> If my vote counts, it's obviously "off".

In general, or because you thought replacement commands fold
characters?

Because I thought replacement was affected.

In this message:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00245.html

you expressed a different opinion:

  I'm not even suggesting that this kind of comparisons should not be
  the default, even. Especially given the fact that locale-dependent
  comparators are not very well supported in Emacs at the moment.

This seems to be mildly in favor of the feature being on by default,
or maybe I misunderstand what you wanted to say here.

That is correct. I was, mildly in favour, as long as it's limited to interactive search commands.

As I have read the rest of the discussion, I have shifted slightly toward the negative end of the spectrum to the point that my opinion is "off" by default right now, until locale-aware searching is available in Emacs.

I'm a firm believer of putting one's money where one's mouth is, and I'm willing to work on it myself. However, right now I'm limited by the fact that I have no copyright assignment on file, so you can't merge anything I do. I have to bring this up with my employer's legal department again.

Regards,
Elias