Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 05:41:45 +0200

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 22:30:04 +0100
>
> Nikolaus Rath <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > When I submitted my first Emacs patch, I was astonished when I was asked
> > to re-submit with my commit message essentially duplicated in the
> > ChangeLog.
>
> And I think this is essential input.  We are alienating contributors by
> insisting on our weird (ok, "unusual") format of the meta data of the
> patches.

I don't think we are alienating them.  The difference wrt what we
request now is almost nonexistent.  And it's not unusual to request
ChangeLog entries, many projects do that.

So the change I propose is not as dramatic as it sounds.  It does fix
a grave problem we have lately, and it will allow us to switch to more
elaborate workflows in the future.

> The ChangeLog is useful for some of us.  But I would contend that its
> usefulness doesn't trump all the contributors we have discouraged by
> insisting on our quite singular submission format.

It's not singular.