Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 15:03:28 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/07/2016 01:06 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> Let other projects invent those schemes and test-drive them. Enough
>> with these experiments!
>
> I'd rather just do what coreutils, grep, tar, etc. use. It's just as
> simple for ordinary committers and it would not involve duplication in
> patches or experimentation with maintenance procedures. I could fairly
> easily change the master branch to do that.

I like what is done by those projects.  However they don't have a merge
workflow.  I agree with you that for Emacs release branches, maintaining
ChangeLog manually seems reasonable.  However how will it work for the
feature branches which are meant to be merge sooner or later?

> Even simpler would be to do what Guile does: it dispenses with
> ChangeLogs entirely. With Guile if you want something like a ChangeLog
> you run "git log".

This approach seems wrong to me.  I think it is still desirable to be
able to partially analyze history directly from a tarball (even if it is
not optimal) without requiring a web browser, or cloning a full git
repository.

Thanks,

--
Mathieu Lirzin