Re: Cleaner way to not build the ctags that ships with emacs?

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Cleaner way to not build the ctags that ships with emacs?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:34:31 -0500

>> Paul Eggert
> It should be fairly easy to add an option to 'configure'.
> Something like this, say:
>    ./configure --disable-lib-src=""> > where the option argument specifies which lib-src programs to build. Is that something you'd like to develop?

OK. I've never scripted configure but I will give it a shot. From a brief reading, it looks like I need to modify configure.ac.

>> Ulrich Mueller
> Wouldn't that argument apply to etags as well? Exuberant Ctags has an
> etags mode which can be enabled by the -e option, or by invoking the
> program under the name etags.

You are correct that the argument applies to etags as well. I have never used etags but my understanding was that it was used along with xref (which I could be totally wrong about). I haven't used xref either. If emacs doesn't need etags internally, then I don't mind an option to prevent its build too.

--
Kaushal Modi