Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs? (Was: bug#21998: Run 'make change-his

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs? (Was: bug#21998: Run 'make change-history' on release branch)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:06:54 -0700

Which two languages? It should be easy to fix and I can volunteer to do
>that.
Shell scripts and Makefiles are the two I thought of immediately.
Maybe there are more, I don't know.  How about TeX and PS, for
example?  We have a few of those.

.ps files are hardly ever edited any more, so they're low priority. .m4 files are more important. I installed into master the attached patch, which adds support for shell, makefiles, m4, and other formats that git already supports well. Run './autogen.sh git' to use it.

Btw, the best solution would be to have these tricks added to standard
Git installation, or maybe to GNU Diff (which I think Git uses?).  Why
should users need to reinvent the same wheel all the time?

shell scripts and makefiles are hard to automate in a portable way, as projects use different styles. Perhaps that's why the Git developers have omitted those.