Re: Provide rsync access to GNU ELPA for mirroring it

From: Chunyang Xu
Subject: Re: Provide rsync access to GNU ELPA for mirroring it
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 15:16:58 +0800

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Clément Pit--Claudel
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2016-07-02 12:02, Chunyang Xu wrote:
>> Hello emacs-devel!
>>
>> The emacs-china user group is running an ELPA mirror [1] to provide
>> faster and more reliable connection for Chinese Emacs users.
>> Currently, it simply downloads all files through HTTP, it works well
>> for more than one month, however, mirroring through rsync is obviously
>> easier and more efficient. So please consider providing rsync access
>> to Gnu elpa.
>
> Is there a reason to not build the packets locally, instead of downloading
> them all from ELPA?

Good point, actually I never think about this way before, maybe this
is a good way for Gnu ELPA. git access to savannah is very slow (< 50
KiB/s) and unreliable here, I will try this way after (if) git-clone
is done. Also, I am not sure if building locally can keep old versions
of packages like GNU ELPA.

Anyway, I still think rsync is the best way to mirror.

> (Same for MELPA, btw; this is going to ruin download statistics)

MELPA itself needs 3 hours to build its 3000+ packages. Building MELPA
packages locally is not easy.

I am not very sure if we are ruining the download statistics, but the
user-agent we used is always different from Emacs/url.el/package.el