Re: Emacs 25.0.04: Feature Request: Make called-interactively-p's argume

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Emacs 25.0.04: Feature Request: Make called-interactively-p's argument optional
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 11:20:46 -0400

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> So: what exactly is the problem?  Is it a convenience issue, or are
> there some real problems in the recommended replacements for
> 'interactive-p' (such as 'called-interactively-p')?

I agree with Eli that a good summary, hopefully with examples, of why
one always needs to give an argument to called-interactively-p would
be helpful and how making its argument optional could cause problems,
if that is indeed the case.

I do think called-interactively-p is a better name for the function
than interactive-p and that is why I originally suggested just making
the argument to it optional, defaulting to the same behavior as when
it is given an 'interactive argument.  My first post in this thread is
a good summary of why the change was suggested, which was for ease of
code writing and reading, not any operational problem.

Bob