Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:59:15 -0400

>> The main reason I can see is that we can't fix them after-the fact
>> because Git doesn't support that feature.
> Yes, this is a common need and Git should be changed to allow editing
> of commit log entries even though this could be said to change the
> state of the prior releases.

This has been hashed and rehashed: no, you don't need to change history
for that.  You only need to make "git log" pay attention to erratas
added later on.

IOW, if you "git checkout emacs-24.1; git log" you'd get the commit
entries as they were when the emacs-24.1 commit-id was committed, which
may be different from the entries you see if you do "get checkout master;
git log" since some of the old entries may have been fixed in the mean time.

        Stefan