Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:05:45 -0400

  > > With all due respect, I think that is not true, not even close to
  > > being true.  The change log is tremendously better in all cases than
  > > any other method I've seen.  It is hard work to recover the change log
  > > from a diff.

  > But it's not like the VCS only has diffs to offer.
  > "git log" gives pretty much the same info as the ChangeLog.

I think we are miscommunicating.  The data we formerly put in the
ChangeLog file, we now put into the git commit log, and 'git log' is
now the way to look at it.  It is the same data, and we can use it the
same way.  But that's not the issue now.

Unless I have misunderstood, someone is now arguing that we shouldn't
write that information _at all, anywhere_.

That is what I oppose.

--
Dr Richard Stallman