Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 12:18:27 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> +                (when (bound-and-true-p package--initialized)
>> +                  (completing-read "Package: " package-alist))))
>
> package-alist may not exist.  Wouldn't (mapcar #'symbol-name features)
> be preferable?

I figured if package--initialized was bound and true, then package-alist
should exist.

I did this at the package level (rather than the deeper features level)
just because it seemed cleaner. Using features, you get all the
individual files of multi-file packages, which seems messy (and prone to
missing the maintainer). We'd also be offering all the built-in Emacs
libraries, for which there's no sensible "maintainer", and could end up
cc'ing people who wrote libraries decades ago.

That's just what I was thinking at the time, though -- obviously I'd be
happy to rework it to use features.

Eric