Re: Teaching emacsclient to act as a pager, and more

From: sbaugh
Subject: Re: Teaching emacsclient to act as a pager, and more
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 15:03:23 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 13:16:18 -0400
>>
>> > Cannot this be handled by the existing make-pipe-process?  If not, why
>> > not?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> First off, make-fd-process is only an exact clone of make-pipe-process
>> at the moment because that was the fastest way to get something
>> working. Still, they are quite similar.
>>
>> But make-pipe-process makes a process object backed by a
>> pipe. make-fd-process makes a process object backed by arbitrary file
>> descriptors.
>
> Looking at your patches, it seemed to me that you indeed need a pipe,
> no?

Not as far as I know - what in my patches suggests that I need a pipe?

I am just passing in the arbitrary file-descriptors that emacsclient has
as its stdin/stdout. They are directly moved into the main emacs
process, not tunneled over a pipe. Those file descriptors frequently
would be pipes, but could be regular files or anything else. And given
that I have these two arbitrary file descriptors, I need to manipulate
them somehow - and I do that by passing them into make-fd-process to
make a process object backed by those two arbitrary file descriptors.