Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:48:37 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> SM> Exactly. So if you have a package both in emacs.git and elpa.git, you're
> SM> going to have to choose which of those two is the "upstream" and then be
> SM> extra careful to tell people to only ever make changes on that side, which
> SM> I think will prove inconvenient.
>> Maybe, but is it more inconvenient than the alternatives? I'm not sure what
>> the competing proposals are, exactly, at this point.
>
> The competing proposal is to have a checkout of elpa.git
> within/alongside that of emacs.git.

The significant disadvantage to this is that if we want a stable release
of Emacs, all the ELPA packages in the tar ball now get tied to the
emacs release schedule, because all of the files in the checkout of
elpa.git will be at the same commit. Unless we move all the files in
ELPA git to be external branches.

Phil