RE: Issues marked as fixed in 25.2

From: Herring, Davis
Subject: RE: Issues marked as fixed in 25.2
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 06:25:00 +0000

> I think the idea that we can know which version will come from what
> branch is a fallacy, because the original intent can always be
> thwarted by later decisions, based on situations no one can predict.

That's why the three branches should not literally be "(current release target,
next minor, next major)".  For a library equipped with an soname, the standard
versioning system suggests (bug fixes, new features, incompatible changes).
The same idea can be applied to a gradually evolving editor: commits are not
assigned to a supposedly certain destiny, but rather are sorted according to
the probability that they might delay a release.

Then, whenever a "minimal changes" release is desired (e.g., to fix a
vulnerability without breaking other things), it can be made immediately from
the strictest branch.  When work on a major feature drags on, meaningful
releases can be made without it by releasing from the middle branch.  (These
two use cases are the reason for the number of branches being 3; the match with
libraries is largely coincidental.)  When instead release day comes for the
middle branch before the strict branch, you just merge the latter into the
former first.

There are two refinements to make.  First, the "strictness" of a branch has two
interpretations: either in terms of the user-visible behavior changes, or in
terms of the (possibly destabilizing) code changes.  The former is more
appropriate for the library case, because feature lists and
backwards-compatibility guarantees are defined in terms of the visible
behavior.  It also has the advantage of tending to reduce merge conflicts and
cherrypicking, because refactoring can be done on the bugfix branch even if it
is to support new features to be added elsewhere.  The latter interpretation
may however be more appropriate for Emacs, where no absolute definition of
compatibility exists but stability is very important.

The second refinement is just (the bikeshedding of) what to call such branches
for Emacs, with a mind to making it easy for committers to categorize commits.
The schema that seems most obvious to me is (bug fixes and documentation work,
well-separable features, core features) which maps well to the past "major
version features" (like lexical binding and modules).  The first two are often
distinguished by whether a change includes NEWS text.

Finally, you can still have feature branches, as we already do; this scheme
just reduces the anxiety associated with the merge of such a branch by allowing
it to remain targeted at an unspecified release.

Davis