Re: [elpa] master 550ae83 1/2: [gnugo int] Decruft: Don't declare hook a

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 550ae83 1/2: [gnugo int] Decruft: Don't declare hook and keymap vars.
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 06:15:04 +0100

() Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
() Thu, 09 Feb 2017 13:02:22 -0500

   >  (defvar MODE-map INIT)                   ; model C
   >  (define-derived-mode MODE ...)

   This is the idiomatic form.

OK, noted.

   The main benefit is that there's a clear place where the mode
   map is defined and `C-h o` will get you there.

Thanks for the tip.  ‘C-h o’ is new to me.  That's indeed a nice
benefit.

   aesthetic problem is due
   to the use forward references.

   So, is it fair to say that the reason for the patch was to
   avoid those forward references?

Yes, exactly.

   >  (unless EXPECTED-MODE-map-BINDING

   Of course, this misfires if the user wants to change this
   EXPECTED-MODE-map-BINDING binding ;-)

True, that's the risk.

I'll release, wait a year or two for complaints, and revisit the
decision then -- perhaps ‘C-h o’ will in the meantime learn how
to accomodate some non-idiomatic forms, such as this one.

--
 (defun responsep (query)