Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: HowTo: Search emacs-devel using gnus
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 00:34:13 +0100

Hi Tino!

Thanks for your answer, it probably saved me a lot of time to invent
this myself.

> You can use `eww' to get the message-id:
> I)
> M-x: eww https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/ RET
> ;; Do a search of some words related with the topic you are looking for.
> ;; For instance,
> Search emacs-devel using gnus
>
> ;; Let's pick up the first result:
> M-x eww-view-source RET

Aka v in my eww version.

> ;; Go to beginning of buffer.  You can get the Message-id and
> ;; several cross reference.
>
> II)
> Now, you can call `gnus-summary-goto-article' with first arg
> the message ID in I).
>
> j MESSAGE-ID RET

Yip, works like a charm!

> For short threads is OK, but for long threads, sometimes is time
> consuming to get the right message id.

Once I have the id of one message from that thread, I can use A T
(`gnus-summary-refer-thread': "Fetch all articles in the current
thread.") and search from within Gnus.

Thanks again,

Michael.