Re: Language Servers and Emacs

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Language Servers and Emacs
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:24:24 -0400

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 12:15:19 +0100 address@hidden
(Phillip Lord) wrote:
> > I suspect that most of the ways of interacting with external
> > language tools other than LSP will fade over time, but whether or
> > not that's the case, it clearly seems to be smarter to have an
> > external language tool than to have to duplicate the work of
> > parsing and managing symbol tables inside the editor.
>
> Well, this depends whether LSP is good or not.

You might re-read what I was saying. It is more general than LSP. My
point was that whether _LSP_ is the One True Way or not, the idea of
interacting with language tools to get information about the program
instead of building a parser for every language into the editor is
clearly a good one. So that doesn't depend on whether LSP is good or
not. :)

> Even then, history
> suggests that introduction of the one true standard, just results
> in yet another technique for the same thing.
>
> A brief look at LSP seems that it's relatively limited in scope,
> though; it has some discussion of "capabilities" and "execute
> command". How extensible is it? For instance, NREPL allows evalling
> code, or loading files? Would it be possible to send enough data
> through LSP to support edebug step through debugging for instance?

It's really intended for helping editors out, but it is extensible.
Have a read:

https://github.com/Microsoft/language-server-protocol
https://github.com/Microsoft/language-server-protocol/blob/master/protocol.md

--