Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:31:19 +0300

> From: James Nguyen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 15:12:04 -0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> While we're on this topic, I wonder how feasible it would be to do smooth
> pixel
> scrolling at the C layer.

On the device-independent level, this is already supported, has been
since Emacs 21.  Emacs 26 has a minor mode which uses this to provide
pixel-level smooth scroll commands.  But they slow down scrolling, so
some people might not like that.  And the only way I can think of to
implement a faster smooth scrolling is to do that in terminal-specific
code, i.e. separately for X, w32, and NS.  Patches are welcome.

> I like how nlinum highlights the current line with a different face. I think
> it's a nice UI polish item. (Not everything has to be 100% for functional
>                                  purposes.)
>
> -
>
> For Relative Numbers, a feature request would be to have the current line
> represent the current line number instead of 0. I think vim 8 does that
> for relative numbers.

I guess this will have to be added, thanks for the feedback.