Re: Commit 49c0ff2 "Don't bind org-agenda .."

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Commit 49c0ff2 "Don't bind org-agenda .."
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:36:15 +0000

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:12 PM Kyle Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

Right, but I think it's worth emphasizing that commits that are more
than just fixes are much harder to deal with.  Under the current system
for syncing Emacs and Org [*], bug fixes are (usually) trivial to
backport to Org's maint branch, but changes that are appropriate for
Org's master branch are more problematic because it's a release from the
Org maint branch that will be synced with the Emacs master branch.

I believe that in that case, the user just uses the org master branch.. Just as people wanting the latest and greatest emacs use the emacs master branch :)

[*] As mentioned several times on this list, the Emacs repo is very
    overdue for a sync with Org.  Aside from this commit, all
    Org-related commits on Emacs's side have been backported (or
    otherwise resolved) to Org's maint branch.  On the Org list, Kaushal
    expressed interest in moving along the final step of syncing,

Yes!

so
    hopefully a sync isn't too far off.

It would need someone with Org authority to do the actual sync.. Bastein? Nicolas? Looks like Bastein did the last Org sync (v8.2.10) onto Emacs master in Oct 2014. We need to happen again; sync the latest release (9.0.8 as of now), and then keep on syncing the next Org release with Emacs master each time.

I use emacs master + org master as my daily driver and they work in harmony. Recently a commit in emacs master broke 'make test' on Org, but that has been fixed. I think that the best time to sync Org 9.0.8 with emacs master is *now*. Eli? John?

> In this particular case, the commit should go on Org master.  (No
> need to delete it from Emacs.)
>
> About the functionality itself, I just gave a quick look, but it
> feels like (org-agenda-redo t) should be responsible for doing what
> `org-agenda-redo-all' is doing, and we need to carefully check that
> checking all buffers is a good idea.

I think the options are

 3. Revert this commit in Emacs and apply it to Org's master branch.

I would vote for this option.
--

Kaushal Modi