Re: Commit 49c0ff2 "Don't bind org-agenda .."

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Commit 49c0ff2 "Don't bind org-agenda .."
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:16:52 -0400

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Kyle Meyer wrote:
>
>> The issue is that, if we backport to Org's master branch, the changes in
>> Emacs's master branch will be reverted when synced with the release from
>> Org's maint branch.
>
> That's only true if an Org "sync" is yet again going to be just a dump
> of the files from Org on top of the ones in Emacs. As has been explained
> before, this is not how to do it. In relevant branch of the Org repo,
> construct the diff between the current revision and the last revision
> that was synced with Emacs. Then apply that diff to Emacs.

No, you face the same problem either way.  You have commit X in Emacs's
master branch and in Org's master branch, but not Org's maint branch.
Because the goal is to update Emacs to the latest Org release from Org's
maint [*], commit X would be reverted in the sync.  Sure, you could
selectively ignore the hunk that reverts back to maint's state
(i.e. keep the changes from commit X), but then you create a situation
where Emacs's Org files are a weird mix between the released version of
Org (maint) and the developmental version (Org's master).

--
Kyle