Re: Native line numbers display and tab stops

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Native line numbers display and tab stops
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 17:50:09 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 18:08:09 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Someone reported on Reddit that turning on native line numbers display
> (available on the line-numbers branch) doesn't update the tab stops to
> start from zero after the line numbers.  This looked like a bug, but I
> see that the same happens when line-prefix is set to a non-nil value.

> So maybe this is a feature?  What do people think?  Should I fix this
> for all display features which insert stuff before the line beginning?

Well, as far as the line numbers are concerned, they are a pure display
feature.  They should not affect editing commands.  I think it is a bug
if a user types `tab-to-tab-stop' on one line, switches on the line
numbers, then types the same on the next line and finds that the two
places tabbed to don't line up.

Whether it's a bug with other display features, I can't really say,
because I'm not familiar enough with them.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).