Re: Smoother macOS touchpad scrolling

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Smoother macOS touchpad scrolling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:37:58 +0100

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 10:20:56AM +0900, Tak Kunihiro wrote:
> > I also don’t think it’s too important as we’re not doing real
> > pixelwise scrolling. I considered just using a constant value, like
> > 10, as I think that would still provide a better experience than we
> > have currently.
>
> Once customization is allowed, touchpad can scroll slow with following
> setup.
>
>   (require 'pixel-scroll)
>   (pixel-scroll-mode 1)
>   (setq pixel-resolution-fine-flag t)
>
> Although this should not be advertised because C-n and C-p after
> scrolling redo the scroll less than a line (in other word,
> implementation is incomplete), this works as pixelwise scrolling.  Thus
> please have an option to let touchpad send each event by each pixel.

You mean one event per pixel to be scrolled, or pass the delta in the
event?

I can certainly do the former, although it will potentially result in
a torrent of scroll events.

The latter is, I think, banned as it can’t be replicated on a Free
system, but is the better solution.

How about instead of using the default font height, I provide a
variable that the user can use to set a ‘line height’ of their own
choosing? i.e. ‘(setq ns-touchpad-scroll-line-height 1)’ for one
pixel.

If I work out how to use the real line heights, that can be the
default, overridden by the variable.
--
Alan Third