Re: windows installer

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 18:32:34 +0100 (CET)

> Il 12 novembre 2017 alle 16.04 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>
> No, you redefine HOME for every application that Emacs will invoke as
> well.
>
> I don't think you need to do that, as Emacs does that automatically.
> In any case, this is separate from the HOME issue.  If Emacs already
> finds all of its files on the USB, then emacs_dir setting is not
> needed.  Unless you have INFOPATH set on that machine, or one of the
> other environment variables, like EMACSLOADPATH, that override
> emacs_dir.
>
> As for HOME, I think you should set it only if it is not already set,
> and you should use setlocal, not set.

Hmm.. thanks for clarification.. Meanwhile I found this discussion:

  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/350345/how-can-i-have-a-portable-emacs

and this answer seems interesting:

  create a directory in the root of your usb drive called 'home'.
  create site-start.el in the site-lisp folder and then copy this and you are
all set to go.

  (defvar %~dp0 (substring data-directory 0 3)) (defvar usb-home-dir (concat
%~dp0 "home/"))
  (setenv "HOME" usb-home-dir)

What do you think? It looks better (maybe not the last!) of the other using a
.bat file..