Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk.in.
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 18:53:43 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 05:30:32 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:55:47 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden

> > make clean and make distclean fail because around 12 files in m4/
> > are missing.

> These targets should be invoked _before_ checking out another
> revision, not after.  Otherwise, you get a bunch of Makefile's that
> are inconsistent with the working tree contents.

Yes, that works better, thanks.  But not perfectly.

If I start off having just built the emacs-26 head, then do
(i) make distclean.
(ii) git checkout 10c0e1ca.
(iii) ./autogen.sh
, I get the following error:

Running 'autoreconf -fi -I m4' ...
/usr/bin/m4:aclocal.m4:9: cannot open `m4/count-leading-zeros.m4': No such file
or directory
(+ ~11 similar lines)

.  The error here is that (i) make distclean has failed to delete aclocal.m4.

If I do
(i) delete aclocal.m4 by hand.
(ii) ./autogen.sh
, this works.  I then follow up with
(iii) ./configure --with-tiff=no --with-gif=no --with-gpm
(iv) make -j17
, this fails with:

(source)...
Eager macro-expansion failure: (void-function define-symbol-prop)
Eager macro-expansion failure: (void-function define-symbol-prop)
Symbol's function definition is void: define-symbol-prop

.  Grepping for define-symbol-prop shows that define-symbol-prop is used
in cl-loaddefs.el.  It would appear that make distclean has failed to
delete the *loaddefs.el files, too.

I now delete *loaddefs.el from the source tree, and try again
(i) make -j17
, I get lots of errors like:

Eager macro-expansion failure: (void-function define-symbol-prop)

.  I've still got _lots_ of .elc files which refer to
define-symbol-prop (but no source files).  My theory: make distclean
failed to delete *.elc, but I can check that later.

Finally, I try
(i) make -j17 bootstrap
.  This _must_ work, surely?  Yes, it does.

make distclean is broken.  It purports to remove all files generated by
"configuring or building the program".  It doesn't do this.  I'll be
submitting a bug report about this, probably this evening.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).