Re: fix for bug#29935 copyright-update inserts year at random places

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: fix for bug#29935 copyright-update inserts year at random places
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 21:05:25 +0200

> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:56:59 -0600
>
> This thread is nominally about patching emacs-26 to fix a bug. The patch
> I've posted is a minimal fix; adding code or redesigning to handle frames
> better is feature-creep, so it should be done on master.

I think the bug happens because we use save-window-excursion, and
switch buffers inside it.  The cure should be not to do what hurts.
Can this be done in this case?  If not, why not?  And why do we use
save-window-excursion in the first place? that's not the usual way to
display a buffer whose contents is referenced in an error message or a
prompt.

Thanks.