Re: emacs-26 eec71eb: Speed up replace-buffer-contents

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: emacs-26 eec71eb: Speed up replace-buffer-contents
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 23:36:44 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

If you mean you have an idea for calling rarely_quit or its equivalent
in a more elegant way (e.g., without a static counter), then it would
be good, of course.

Yes, that's the idea.

Which particular problem were did you allude to?

Sorry, I've lost context and don't know what this question refers to.

It could be that the optimized build will show a different
picture, although I doubt that.  I might try an optimized build in a
couple of days (but I never use -O3 in Emacs, only -O2).

Yes, -O2 is what I usually use for benchmarks too, since it's what is normally used in production. Its execution profile can differ quite a bit from -O0, due to inlining and other things. For rarely_quit, with -O2 typically the overhead of the rarely_quit call (including computing its argument) is typically just two CPU instructions (a test and a conditional branch that is predicted correctly, so both instructions are cheap). This is way better than -O0.