Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 09:01:32 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 18:44:14 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> The idea is that we make sure users see a chance to choose between the
> alternatives (convenience and safety) early enough that they won't be
> unsafe.  The choice should come with an explanation of each option,
> first stating what situations it is recommended for, then what it does.

The early enough part is already in place, I think: the NSM pops up
the first time some security related issue is discovered, and asks the
user to decide what to do about that.  The user then is given the
option of making the decision permanent or only for this particular
connection.

The other part of your proposal is exactly what I think we should do,
and that was the motive behind all my comments to the recent related
bug reports and contributions: we should have the issues and their
remedies explained and documented, so that users could make informed
decisions when those matter.