Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 19:45:24 -0400

  > >   > I think we should assume people generally know whether thugs
  > >   > with torture chambers might be after them.
  > >
  > > I agree, provided we encourage them to ask themselves the question.

  > There is ample evidence that people in such situations rarely if ever
  > understand what the right thing to do is.

That seems to be a subtle change of topic.  If we urge users to ask
themselves, "Might thugs with torture chambers be spying on me,"
that question is not technical at all.

"What is the right thing to do about it" is a different question, a
technical question.

I said we should encourage users to pose the first question to
themselves.  I think we all agree that Emacs should DTRT for users
who conclude the answer might be yes.

--
Dr Richard Stallman