Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 09:59:47 -0600

>> #define lisp_h_CHECK_FIXNUM(x) CHECK_TYPE (FIXNUMP (x), Qintegerp, x)

Paul> That last line should use Qfixnump, surely.

Fixing this made me realize that some calls to DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER had to
be updated to use Qfixnump rather than Qintegerp.  (With the
restrictions to be lifted piecemeal in the future.)

Also the bytecode interpreter needed some updates; and I changed the
emacs-module API to allow bigger-than-fixnum ints to be converted.

I've implemented all my to-do items, except:

* Update documentation
* Use the mpn_ API.  This does not look fun :-(

I still haven't tried cons_to_unsigned et al, out of compatibility
fears.

I've cleaned up the series quite a bit so it is in decent shape if you
want to read through it:

address@hidden:tromey/emacs.git feature/bignum

I tend to rebase and force-push for development branches like this, so
beware of that.  No ChangeLogs yet I'm afraid.

Tom