Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support), Re: git his

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support), Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support), Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support), Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:13:47 -0700

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2018-07-11 11:42, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> If someone would like to write a command that looks at the last commit
>> (or several commits), and generates a skeleton of a log entry, I'm all
>> for it.  (People will have to "git commit --amend" to use such a
>> command, but that's not a problem, I think, and could also be
>> automated.)
>
> Indeed, I suspect a simple magit extension to populate the current
> commit message buffer with the appropriate text would satisfy most
> people who dislike the current format.
> (I'm suggesting magit because I don't know how the build-in VC
> frontend works in terms of inputing commit messages)

I use `magit-commit-add-log' ("C" in the magit diff buffer) and that
gets me close enough to the correct format that it's only a small pain
to get the rest of the way there. Perhaps all that's needed is a
refinement for that command (mostly in the way it accumulates symbol
names as you use it multiple times).

Eric