Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:16:17 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Cc: João Távora <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 19:37:56 +0000

> >> Thanks, didn't know that.
>
> EZ> It's an invaluable feature when you need to generate log entries from
> EZ> diffs that someone submitted without ones.
>
> That's more or less what I'm suggesting, except it should be more of an
> interactive editor with auto or manual refreshing, not a one-shot
> command.

If you ever used it, then you know that all it does is generate the
names of the functions to which the hunks belong.  That's important,
but it is not the only important part in the log, of course.

And it doesn't work at all when you are presented with a merge-commit,
because that one has no diffs with Git.