Re: Current State of CEDET in Emacs tree and standalone

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Current State of CEDET in Emacs tree and standalone
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 17:12:25 +0100

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 3:26 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  >   I'm under the
  > impression that semantic may not be needed, since microsoft is pushing
  > the LSP (language server protocal).

We don't have a GNU language server; what we do have is CEDET.
So we should continue maintaining CEDET.

Exactly, and nothing is stopping us from building a LSP server based
on CEDET, be it in the same Emacs process where a the LSP client
is running, or in a separate one.

Any of these options (especially the second) seem interesting at first sight.
This server could leverage the jsonrpc.el library I recently pushed into Emacs.

If we do this, other editors, potentially freedom-denying editors
would be able to interact with said CEDET-based language server.  This is
no worse than those editors using GCC or GDB, for example.

João