Re: regex.c simplification

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: regex.c simplification
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 00:17:58 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

* Perhaps 'etags' users are using GNU extensions in their regular
expressions, and if we switch to the libc API their usage will break.

We could recommend such users to install GNU regexp, which AFAIK
exposes the Posix API as well.

I assume you mean GNU regex. That project is long dead, and has been superseded by Gnulib. I would not recommend it for Emacs usage. See:

https://www.gnu.org/software/regex/

There's still the alternative which I asked about a couple of days
ago: use the Gnulib regexp without the additional code pulled in by
mbrtowc, I hope that's a viable option.

Yes, I've built that and am testing it. I plan to report back soon.