Re: The netsec thread

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: The netsec thread
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 12:54:54 +0100

On Tue 24 Jul 2018, Andy Moreton wrote:

> On Tue 24 Jul 2018, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>>  - start gnus, and enter group gwene.electronics.righto on
>>>  news.gmane.org
>>>  - read one or more articles which contain more than one image
>>>  - NSM prompts for a certificate from *.googleusercontent.com (name
>>>  varies)
>>> <right>)
>>>  - NSM gets stuck and never seems to discard the unexpected keys.
>>>    only quitting with ^G seems to fix it.
>>
>> Oh, I see.  The NSM shouldn't really be firing at all, since this is
>> happening from a non-interactive-user context.  I.e., as originally
>> designed, these connections (for images fetched in the background) were
>> just meant to be closed and discarded.
>>
>> That's the way it worked in Emacs 25, but perhaps the async network code
>> rework made this stop working.
>
> I have now managed to reproduce this on master as well :-(

A simpler recipe to reproduce this on master:

 - delete ~/.emacs.d/network-security.data
 - start emacs and then M-x gnus
 - NSM prompts for "Continue connecting ?"
 - mouse click in the "*Network Security Manager*" window
 - NSM repeats the prompt endlessly (along with garbage collection
   messages), and ignores all input except ^G to quit.

After quitting with ^G 3 times (multiple servers in gnus), I see the
following in *Messages*:

    Reading c:/home/ajm/.emacs.d/gnus/.newsrc.eld...
    Checking new news...
    Reading active file via nnnil...done
    Reading active file from cache via nnml...
    Opening nnml server on cache...done
    Reading active file from cache via nnml...done
    Type "q" to delete help window.
    Continue connecting? (always, session only, no, ?):  [116582 times]
    Aborting connection to news.eternal-september.org:nntp
    Type "q" to delete help window.
    Continue connecting? (always, session only, no, ?):  [13598 times]
    Aborting connection to news.gmane.org:nntp
    Type "q" to delete help window.
    Continue connecting? (always, session only, no, ?):  [23369 times]
    Aborting connection to feedbase.org:563
    Reading active file via nndraft...done
    Checking new news...done

Something is broken in read-multiple-choice if it shows "Continue
connecting?" that many times (also hinted at by the triggering of
frequent garbage collections).

    AndyM