Re: One character key bindings in editing buffers

From: J J
Subject: Re: One character key bindings in editing buffers
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 22:30:38 +0300

> Sounds like a good idea for a package, indeed (no way this can make it
> to a default behavior, OTOH).

Naturally, it should not be default behavior. It's an advanced
feature, so people should turn it on explicitly, so they know
what's going on.

> I recommend you try and avoid sit-for as much as possible (e.g. because
> it delays running other post-command-hooks).
> E.g. in char-hotkey-wait-for-end, better just set some global var to the
> current time, and then in char-hotkey compare that to the current time
> to see if 0.5s have elapsed.

Thanks, I didn't know that. For some reason I thought sit-for is
implemented with a callback or something behind the scenes, so
while it waits for input or elapsing time other code can keep on
running during that.

> Also, I'd recommend you use command remapping here:

Yes, that is one of the points which a proper package should
handle. In theory it's also possible that if you use some
punctuation mark for hotkey then it also already has an electric
or similar binding, not self-insert-command, though it's not
likely with letter hotkeys.

> Also, you can use the minor-mode map feature, so the key-bindings are
> automatically (de)activated:

Nifty. Makes things simpler.