RE: Some developement questions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Some developement questions
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 15:30:36 -0700 (PDT)

> The issue in this case is not traditional key bindings vs. more recently
> invented ones.  The issue is that I very rarely use info and thus do not
> remember its key bindings.  Does the help page I got stuck in say
> anywhere how to get back?

The Info menu-bar menu has menu item `Back in history' (which, for
consistency, should follow the convention and be `Back in History').
And next to that item you'll see its key: `l'.

You'll also find item `Forward in history' and its key, `r' (think "left"
and "right", if you like). And you'll find item `History' and its key, `L'.
Try it, to see what it offers.

In general, Emacs menus can be a good way to discover features (possible
actions).

> Why shouldn't Emacs adjust to changes and adopt new key bindings so it
> becomes easier to use?

Who says it hasn't changed key bindings and doesn't become easier to use?

There are (often extended) discussions on this list pretty much every year
about possible key binding changes. Good arguments are typically presented
on multiple sides of the discussions.

Keep in mind that people can have different ideas of what "easier to use"
means, and people use different things in Emacs. Emacs is not a simple
editor with only a few possible actions.

> >> I have menu and toolbar disabled ...
> >
> > Complaining about navigability and discoverability of an interface
> > while having disabled its most discoverable features meant to guide
> > new users is a strange combination.
>
> I'm pointing out a usability issue and you call it complaining.

If he had not used the word "complaining" would you perhaps get his
point? Menus can help discovery. (Toolbar buttons not so much, IMO.)