Re: Some developement questions

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 21:15:08 +0300

Hi,

On 05/09/2018 22:36 +0200, hw wrote:

> Filipp Gunbin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 04/09/2018 16:16 +0200, hw wrote:

[...]
>>> Ok, Emacs should be able to automatically switch on or off the menu (and
>>> perhaps the tool bar) depending on the mode of a buffer.
>>
>> Emacs cannot guess for the user when she needs or does not need a menu
>> bar or a tool bar.  You have to instruct it to, somehow.
>
> Can I do that per mode?  So I could have them automatically enabled when
> in info mode and automatically disabled when not?  Emacs could
> automatically remember the last setting for each mode I used, so no
> additional instructing would be necessary.

Yes, customize change-major-mode-hook or just Info-mode-hook.

>>> Info mode should understand the contemporary key bindings M-left and
>>> M-right to go back and forth in the history.  (Those are bound to
>>> movement by word, which is probably not extremely useful in info
>>> buffers.)
>>>
>>> Should I make a feature request?
>>
>> It's very useful.  At least for me - when I read info, I usually move
>> the cursor by word or by sentence.
>
> That probably means there would be a lot of resistance to get these
> useful key bindings to be the default :(
>
> Please try word-wise movement on a German keyboard with these keys.  Do
> not use the Alt key for this because it has been almost 30 years that it
> was not possible to use that like ESC at all.  Force yourself to do it
> for at least two hours; after that, you may use the Alt key and try for
> another two hours.  Then tell me how useful these key bindindings really
> are :)

I've never worked on a German keyboard (but I've just read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_keyboard_layout).  So what's your
exact problem with Alt's?

I do work with Russian keyboard, and I usually use US layout when
working with Emacs, and have (setq default-input-method
'russian-computer) in .emacs, so C-\ switches to it.

You should have 2 Ctrl's and 2 Alt's (one of which could be AltGr) on a
German keyboard, so you should be in same situations as other users.

>> Well, this thread looks like you're describing how you fight with Emacs
>> defaults.  You could make your own set of customizations and see what
>> comes out of it.  Maybe others will find them useful.
>
> You could always change the default to your preference after it has
> changed to something people are more likely to know.  You could propose
> that all web browsers start using 'l' to move backwards in history,
> too.

It's really the first time I heard of Alt+arrow bindings.  Maybe that's
because I don't use keyboard for navigation in a web browser :-)

Filipp