Re: Some developement questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 10:00:58 -0400

> I really *urge* you to turn `menu-bar-mode' back on, permanently.

I live pretty happily with a disabled menu-bar.
Disabling it doesn't prevent me from using it (in those rare cases
where I find it more convenient), since I can access it with C-mouse-3.

[ I started disabling the menu-bar many many years ago when the few extra
  lines of screen real-estate it gave me seemed more worthwhile.
  This benefit has diminished over the years as my screens's vertical size
  has grown, but the day my 4:3 laptop dies the benefit will
  increase again.  ]

> I feel that so many of your questions would be answered by Emacs, if
> you only asked it.

Indeed, I think Emacs tries pretty hard to make it easy to find those
answers, so while I don't urge anyone to enable the menu-bar, I strongly
encourage people to *use* it for discovery purposes (including the
discover the various additional items in the Help menu).

        Stefan