RE: Some developement questions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Some developement questions
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 19:09:12 -0700 (PDT)

> > BTW, when I was reading it, I was wishing I could open links in other
> > buffers or windows like I would open another tab in a web brower.  Is
> > there some way to do something like that?  It can make it easier to keep
> > track of the history as you can break up a history tree into something
> > far more navigable by using tabs as anchors of branches (that have
> > branches, etc.).
>
> With point over a link, try "M-n RET".  That will clone the info
> buffer, then follow the link in the clone.

Yes, good one. `M-n' clones the buffer, showing the same node,
with point in the same position (so still on top of the link). Then
`RET' follows the link in that cloned buffer.

You can also (instead) use `C-u RET'. `RET' is bound to
`Info-follow-nearest-node', and with a prefix arg it follows the
link in a new (cloned) Info buffer named for that node.

The difference is that with `M-n RET' the cloned buffer will have
the same name as the original, but with `<N>' appended (e.g.
`*info*<2>'), whereas with `C-u RET' the cloned buffer will have
the name of the link you followed, prefixed by `info-' (e.g.
`*info-Screen*' if the node you followed is `Screen').

The prefix-arg thing works with some other Info navigation
commands too. E.g. `C-u g Screen' goes to node `Screen' in a
new, cloned buffer, `C-u f Emacs Lisp' follows an xref to the
Emacs Lisp manual in a cloned buffer. (It doesn't work with
`l', `r', `n', `p', `u', however. (Maybe it should.)