Re: Some developement questions

From: hw
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 15:12:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: hw <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 23:29:19 +0200

>> >      To turn off shift-selection, set ‘shift-select-mode’ to ‘nil’.  Doing
>> >   so does not disable setting the mark via mouse commands.
>>
>> Thanks!  I really need to read the manual again ...
>
> While re-reading the manual from time to time is a good idea (and we
> present an opportunity to do that whenever a new Emacs version is
> about to be released, at which point we ask volunteers to proof-read
> the manual),

Hm.  I've started reading it again and was thinking about the changes
between versions.  I could as well proof read it, but wich version
should I read?

> you don't really need to read it to find stuff relevant
> to some subject.  Instead, use the 'i' command (with completion) to
> quickly find the places discussing that subject.  In this case, I
> typed "i shift-sel TAB" and was presented with a single completion;
> typing RET then landed me in a short section which had the above text
> in it.

That's cool.  It's been so long that I read it that I want to read it
again.

BTW, when I was reading it, I was wishing I could open links in other
buffers or windows like I would open another tab in a web brower.  Is
there some way to do something like that?  It can make it easier to keep
track of the history as you can break up a history tree into something
far more navigable by using tabs as anchors of branches (that have
branches, etc.).