Re: Some developement questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 09:36:44 +0300

> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 16:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Type "C-x C-x", then some letter: puff! the whole region is gone.
> > This could be okay in text modes, but in code buffers users generally
> > don't replace regions with single letters.
>
> Just don't do that.

It's a way too important a paradigm not to use it.

> Not a problem at all. Never been a problem for me.
> And if I somehow did that by mistake I'd just undo it.

I didn't say it's a catastrophe, I said it gets in the way.  IOW, it's
a nuisance (IME).

> It's equivalent to your doing this without `delete-selection-mode':
> C-x C-x M-w, then some letter

No, that doesn't delete the region.  Perhaps you meant C-w.  And in
any case, the fact that I typed C-w already says that I didn't just
want to return to the marked place.  So I don't think this analogy is
valid.

> C-x C-x is no longer just swapping point and mark. That ship sailed
> long ago, when we turned on `transient-mark-mode' by default.
> Now it also activates the region, and anyone who doesn't want it
> activated can just use C-g to deactivate it.

Like I said: it gets in the way.  You disagree, which is fine, so you
can enable delete-selection-mode in your configuration.  I tried that
once, and quickly disabled it back, due to the above (and similar
issues).