Re: Some developement questions

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 03:41:22 +0200

On 6 September 2018 03:11:08 CEST, hw <address@hidden> wrote:
>Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> hw wrote:
>>> My first step with 'emacs -q' would be to make the menu fonts
>larger.
>>> As much as I like monospace fonts, the typewriter font used for the
>text
>>> was *really ugly* even 30 years ago.  One look at Emacs with this
>font
>>> might turn most people away before they start reading anything.
>>
>> This matches my perception too, when I show Emacs to students. Emacs
>> starts up in monospace font and that looks sooooo 1980s.
>
>not really
>
>I don't mean to say that there's something wrong with monospace fonts.
>I prefer them for most things because they're monospace.
>
>We should ask a designer for some ideas about how to make Emacs look
>better.

We can also see what have succeded before, for example packages like powerline
or fonts like Hacks or Cantarell. They have succeded independently of operative
systems, editors or tools. The default color scheme, graphical or tui. These
are the kind of initial things I wanted to ask to the new user if there is not
config file. If he dont want any help can get the defaults, else he could
choose and the first impresion could be much much better.