RE: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 07:24:49 -0700 (PDT)

> > The _only_ problem I personally have with delete-selection-mode is
> > that it also replaces the region created by the likes of "C-x C-x",
> > something that "most software out there" does not and cannot do.
>
> AFAIU the issue here is that you're using C-x C-x as navigation (a habit
> you might have gotten from the time when transient-mark-mode was
> disabled) rather than as a way to activate the region.
>
> So I think this is a not a problem with d-s-m but with C-x C-x.

Exactly a point that I made too.

>From the moment that we introduced the notion of an "active"
region (i.e. introduced `transient-mark-mode') the fact that a
region is active means, in effect, that you expect to (because
you are able to) do something with it.

That's not necessarily the case for all uses of `C-x C-x'. When
it's not the case, you can use `C-g' to deactivate it. And that's
what you would (have to) do if `d-s-m' is enabled and you do
not want to act on it (e.g. delete/replace it).

If the annoyance for `d-s-m' for a particular user comes only
from `C-x C-x' then a solution (for that user) is to have an
equivalent of `C-x C-x' that does not activate (or that then
deactivates) the region.