Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 08:36:01 -0400

> I agree.  What I want to happen after I make a region with ordinary
> Emacs commands, including C-SPC M-f and C-x C-x, is this:
>
>   * It is active.
>   * It is highlighted.
>   * DEL does not delete it.
>   * self-insert does not delete it.

DEL has been deleting the active region (in the default config) for
a while now.  And I'm pretty happy about that because it saves me
a key-binding.  I think it's just as useful as confining undo and
search&replace to the active region: the active region is an extra
argument to the command.  It makes the active region into something
comparable to the C-u prefix, a general way to structure the space of
our commands.  VI has even more structure, and I wish Emacs moved more
in this direction.

        Stefan